Saturday, November 21, 2009

Loss

His memorial isn't even up yet, but I was informed recently by a friend and former co-worker that another one of my favorites, Albert, at Tabby's Place has passed on ... I feel so out of touch now that I not only don't work there, but am not even close enough to volunteer. This marks the third cat I have loved deeply and lost recently that I know of.

Without fail, Molly had my heart from the moment I met her. I took pictures of her and her "sibling" Courtney while they were still in their quarantine cages. Courtney was younger and Molly had some health problems, so Courtney was adopted out while Molly remained at Tabby's Place. Molly stole hearts, walking around during morning meetings, picking a lap to lay in and then randomly freaking out: swatting or trying to bit her "chosen" lap's person. She just looked like this little old lady you couldn't help but love and that voice of hers' - too funny! I would have adopted her in a heartbeat if I didn't have all of my kids already. I will forever think of her all curled up in a bed on top of this pink blanket she occasionally laid on. God, I loved her!



And then there's little Nicky, Nikki, Nickey - the spelling of her name was never quite determined, I think, and remained a mystery. She was amazing, beautiful and one of those quiet souls. I loved her as well. Angela has always had a way with words and that was no different when she wrote in memory of this special girl.



And my Albert - I can't honestly tell you what really got his claws into me. He was a male black cat and, obviously, I have a soft spot for them since I have 3, but it was more than that. It was his attitude when you had to get blood to check his blood glucose level, the way he could curl up where ever, the swagger he had as he excitedly ran into his cage for dinner and his sad eyes. I adored that boy!


If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again.
No farewell words were spoken, no time to say good-bye,
You were gone before I knew it, and only God knows why.
My heart's still active in sadness, and secret tears still flow;
What it meant to lose you no one can ever know.
But now I know you want me to mourn for you no more,
To remember all the happy times; life still has much in store.
Since you'll never be forgotten, I pledge to you today:
A hallowed place within my heart is where you'll always stay.