Saturday, November 6, 2010

I should be working

It's not uncommon for a post of mine to be scheduled to pop up sometime while I'm working. However, this post is going up while I should be working ... and I'm not. Instead, I'm in my bath robe working on my resume and trying to decide what to do from here aside from "just move on" after being (insert gloomy, doomy music here) fired!

Yes, Thursday evening after my co-worker came in and I was no longer alone for hours like I had been in the morning, I was asked to follow my new manager and she led me into the E.D.'s office where the "controller" and another manager waited (not the E.D., by the way, which I found odd). From there, I can't really give you much reasoning or explanation. I was accused of "misrepresentation" ... which is outrageous.

(Insert quote from friend who wonderfully summed up the crazy/confusing situation:) "I did a google search for "misrepresent" and found this -
mis·rep·re·sent (ms-rpr-znt)
tr.v. mis·rep·re·sent·ed, mis·rep·re·sent·ing, mis·rep·re·sents
1. To give an incorrect or misleading representation of.
2. To serve incorrectly or dishonestly as an official representative of.
ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Verb 1. misrepresent - represent falsely; "This statement misrepresents my intentions"
belie
sentimentalize, sentimentalise - look at with sentimentality or turn into an object of sentiment; "Don't sentimentalize the past events"
distort, falsify, garble, warp - make false by mutilation or addition; as of a message or story
dissemble, feign, pretend, sham, affect - make believe with the intent to deceive; "He feigned that he was ill"; "He shammed a headache"
represent - serve as a means of expressing something; "The flower represents a young girl"
2. misrepresent - tamper, with the purpose of deception; "Fudge the figures"; "cook the books"; "falsify the data"
fudge, fake, falsify, wangle, manipulate, cook
chisel, cheat - engage in deceitful behavior; practice trickery or fraud; "Who's chiseling on the side?"
juggle - manipulate by or as if by moving around components; "juggle an account so as to hide a deficit"

So my question is this - HOW did you allegedly "misrepresent" the shelter?
Did you tell people they could get their car serviced there?
Did you embezzle the payroll?
Did you say you were Nancy Pelosi?
It would seem to me that a cause for firing should describe what that cause is."


I was then asked to sign some paper which in hind sight I regret signing. Who signs something they don't understand?! Well, me, I guess. I was accused, confused and shocked. Combine all that and I'll do just about anything you ask because I'm not sure what else to do to get away.

The "meeting" to fire me was ended with: "You know, we're not going to say anything about the circumstances involving this, so whatever is said is up to you."

The sugar on top of that final "You know, we're not going to say anything about the circumstances" statement was that the very next morning, all staff was paged to the front lobby where the controller announced that I was fired to everyone and why (which apparently confused everyone else as much as it did to me).

I'm confused, I’m angry, I'm hurt and I don't know where to go from here. I'm trying to look at this in a good way. I'm trying to acknowledge the fact I hated the politics/policies there and wanted out ... but not this way. :( Who wants to get quetionably fired and then bad mouthed? I'm trying to stick with this good motto (maybe some higher up's shoulda watched more Disney when they were little!)


I'm hoping this is for the best. I hope the people that know me (even a little) know better than to believe any of the "excuses" being given. That's all I can really do...

I found this quote when looking for some words of support: "Keeping a positive work attitude can be one of the most challenging things you do. Especially, when you are impacted by negative influences in the workplace. One of the ways to keep your attitude positive is to think of your work as your business. If it was your business and more importantly your money that was being put into the workplace how would you act, what would you do to make the workplace, the product or service better." I'm keeping those words in mind with my next job. Hopefully it'll be a more positive environment and, either way, there's always room for self improvement, right?