Sunday, December 30, 2007

they FIND me! - continued

So, I have come to find that the cat in the storm drain has not only been seen before but is most likely a cat that was ABANDONED at the gates! One morning a while ago, the morning crew pulled up to the gates (closed at night) and saw a cardboard carrier that had a note on it - "I am Luigi" ... but no Luigi. He had somehow gotten out of the carrier and run off after he had been abandoned!!! Poor baby. We still haven't caught him yet, or whoever that little storm drain kitty may be. Our trap isn't too reliable and I know days pass without us thinking to set the trap and nights I flash my flashlight around to make sure we unset it and that there isn't some poor kitty in the trap in the cold and dark. A day doesn't go by I don't think of that cat though.

The other day, when Danielle and I were headed to our emergency vet to pick up one of the sanctuary kitties ready to come home, we got a call from a co-worker still here that someone had abandoned two kitties in our lobby. They took the time to catch their cats, put them in a carrier, zip it up, drive here, WALK IN and then the assholes creeps wrote out a note in our lobby and just walked out without speaking to anyone! The little one was desperate for love, the bigger guy was just petrified - calm, quiet, but completely confused & scared.

I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised with some of the things (definitely not "people" cause I still like to think them as kind with SOME common sense) I share my genetic make up with just abandoning kitties like they're nothing when we so commonly do that with human babies these days, but it's still a real disappointment every time I come across it. They're your responsibilities, your babies ... a life you are LUCKY to be a part of and they need you. Take their lives into consideration, please!

Does this written poem relate to cats who run petrified without their people & territory? No. But countless dogs are abandoned too. In the last handful of months, I had one volunteer and one friend pick up puppies just abandoned for no reason ... sweet babies that were just sitting or pacing on the side of the road for hours before these kind people picked them up ... I guess the saddest thing to me, are NOT the ones that find me, but the countless ones I don't find, the ones I can't help.

A dog sits waiting in the cold autumn sun,
Too faithful to leave, too frightened to run.

He's been here for days now, with nothing to do,
But sit by the road, waiting for you.

He can't understand why you left him that day.
He thought you and he were stopping to play.

He's sure you'll be back, and that's why he stays.
How long will he suffer? How many more days?

His legs have grown weak, his throat's parched and dry,
He's sick now from hunger and falls, with a sigh.

He lays down his head and closes his eyes,
I wish you could see how a waiting dog dies.
-Anonymous

No comments: